It’s Day 197 of the Pink Collar Savvy & Chic on Purpose Project and this is the second post in an “It’s Beginning to Look A Lot Like A Savvy & Chic Christmas” series. Originally I was using the term Shabby Chic in the title, but after posting and receiving very few visits to the post last night, I did a little research on whether the Shabby Chic decorating craze that sweep the world in the 90s and the first decade of the 21st century has had its day. What I discovered is that while vintage chic, granny chic, up cycled chic, and a myriad of other terms have replaced the Shabby Chic description of the style, the style itself is alive and well. Even so, I’m wrestling with letting go of using it and replacing it with Savvy & Chic, which is basically owning your personal sense of design style be it Shabby Chic, farmhouse chic (ala HGTV’s vastly popular Fixer Upper) or an eclectic blend of various styles. The point is to decorate with what you love to make your home beautiful, comfortable and functional for the holidays and all year long. For me, that means making every room in the house feel a lot like a Savvy & Chic Christmas, including my newly made over laundry room.
As a Pink Collar Savvy & Chic on Purpose Christmas decorating enthusiast, I hope you are inspired to add a holiday touch to your utilitarian spaces.
Savvy Chic-ing Christmas
- Santas or other decor in the same color scheme as your utilitarian space or in complimentary colors (i.e. My silver Santa in my silver and white space).
- Santas, a small tree or other decor with similar textures or finishes as your utilitarian space (i.e. My Santa’s glittery star with my silver foil baskets).
- Holiday artwork can bring a festive touch to your utilitarian space (I plan to add some of my children’s – it’s quirky and I’d rather display here than in more elegant spaces).
- Shop TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Target, Hobby Lobby, and antique/flea market, secondhand/thrift stores for great decor at affordable prices.
- Use what you love and have fun!
Would love to hear if you use some ideas found here. And I’m considering a giveaway for any who send in photos. So how can you Savvy & Chic your space to reflect your holiday spirit?
Be savvy & chic,
~Pink Collar Coach